Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Comic Relief


So the other day I realized that one of my medications was kind of humorously named. This is a picture of the prescription in question.
Note the name in bold: FML. For those of you unaware of the meaning of the abbreviation “FML,” it is commonly used to stand for “F--- my life.” In fact, there is an entire website dedicated to this usage (www.fmylife.com). Anyway, I just think it's kind of hilarious that I've been instructed to apply FML to both eyes, three times daily... It makes me smile whenever I use it.

Despite my use of pessimistically-named medications, life has actually been pretty good as of late. I just finished my last weekly chemotherapy treatment and according to my current protocol, I will only be receiving treatments once a month from now on! This is especially good news for logistical reasons; I am literally running out of veins to be used for infusions. We've used veins in my hands, my forearms, the crook of my elbow, my wrists... I need some time to heal up! Especially since the steroids I take diminish my wound-healing capabilities and cause me to bruise easily. As a result, all my needle sticks have left me with a patchwork of bruises on my arms. I look like someone let a five-year old tattoo me with splotches of blue, purple, and red. I personally think this is kind of funny, and I proudly show off my bruises as badges of honor. My boyfriend, however, thinks this is less funny, as I suppose it could also look like he beats me with a stick on the arms or something. In any case, it will be nice to give my arms some time to recover. It was getting difficult for the nurses to see behind all the black and blue.

Besides making me extra-fragile, I believe prednisone is also giving me food-related nightmares. Not the “oh my God a giant cheeseburger is chasing me” kind, but the “I just ate a carton of ice cream and now I have steroid-induced diabetes” kind. Maybe I should dress up as an overworked insulin molecule for Halloween! Get it? The insulin is “stressed” because it can't keep up with skyrocketing blood glucose levels? Well I certainly think it's frightening.

This post is dedicated to nerds. Viva la science!

No comments:

Post a Comment